Friday, November 7, 2008

The things about "easy listening"

Dear Internets,

Without the election or Halloween to capture my focus, I've been even more distracted than usual.

Distraction:
My office mate at work likes to listen to a "soft rock" radio station while we work. It doesn't bother me - the music fades into the background, and, except for the occasional annoying DJ or overly-enthusiastic advertisement, I don't even notice it.

There is one exception: "Baby I Love Your Way" (usually the UB40 cover on this particular station, but occasionally the Peter Effing Frampton original) breaks through my consciousness and worms its way into my brain at least once a day. It is the ear worm to end all ear worms. To make matters worse, when I get a song stuck in my head I have an awkward, almost-unconscious habit of singing aloud and substituting the lyrics with the names and habits of people who happen to be around me.

There's not an easy way to recover from singing to a coworker that you "love their way."

Distraction:
I should really start carrying a camera around with me more often. Signs I have seen posted lately (among others):

On a swimming pool: "Lap swim 2-4. Family swim 4-7. Full immersion baptism by appt."

At a massage parlor: "Special massage! $30"

On a restaurant door: "NOOO!!!! Public Restroom."

Distraction:
I'm working all weekend again. I'd like to make cupcakes tonight, but I don't know what I'd do with them. Normally I'll eat one or two and take the rest to work, but I don't think it's a good idea to give a room full of adolescent boys sugar and then expect them to pay attention for several hours.

Distraction:
Is it possible for cowlicks to migrate around your head? I've always had one just behind the crown of my head. Lately, though, it seems to have migrated out and apart so I have two little cowlick horns.

I'm off to go attempt (again) to tame them. Take care, Internets.

Love always,
Jane

***UPDATE***
They are playing "Baby I Love Your Way" AGAIN! I heard it over the Old 97's, which I'd been listening to through headphones to try to get "Baby" out of my head. Gah!

No comments: