Tuesday, July 22, 2008

From L. privatus "set apart, belonging to oneself"

Dear Internets,

Is it weird to google perform a search using the wonderful search engine Google on yourself and be relieved when nothing pops up?

A few days ago, I got an email asking me to follow up on a comment I left on a blog. A writer wanted to use my comment, full name, and photo in an article that she was writing in a weekly business journal.

Oh dear.

I was flattered that the writer had actually thought something I said was even semi-worthy of being published in a magazine. (After all, most of my ramblings revolve around things like cute-ening up my cubicle.)

But any self-indulgent thoughts about voicing my thoughts non-anonymously on the Internets immediately gave way to worries about potential future bosses googling performing a search using the wonderful search engine Google on me, and thinking that I'm a crazy person, with a glue gun in one hand and a Beadazzler in the other. (I mean before the interview, when I wouldn't have even had the chance to present them with a rhinestone-encrusted thank-you card.)

I feel guilty, Internets. I mean, I guess it maybe makes me think that it's a bit hypocritical of me to want privacy online yet maintain a blog?

Anyhoo Internets, I think that's enough self-absorbed worrying. I'm off to go find myself a Snickers.

XOXO,
Jane

2 comments:

Louise said...

I totally get it. It makes my stomach turn when I see my name show up in google, and it does...a lot.

SavingDiva said...

I totally get it. However, my name pops up a lot with google...but not attached to my blog. If it did...AAAHHHHH!